Tsunamis and Natural Hazards
ASR is a world expert in assessing risks and developing planning strategies for tsunamis and natural hazards.
Planning ahead for natural hazards saves lives and property. Understanding the risks (or lack thereof) of destructive event occurrence and damage is critical for most coastal areas. This knowledge helps drive investment, determine appropriate coastal development locations, and direct tourism operations. ASR scientists have significant experience in the quantification of tsunamis and other natural hazards including storm surges and other extreme wind and wave events.
ASR also works with stakeholders to develop hazard mitigation strategies including design and construction of coastal protection structures, identification of lower-risk development locations, assistance with structural design for coastal buildings, and strategies for beach and wetland restoration to increase protection.
Our services can be categorized as follows:
- Numerical modeling and inundation mapping
- Tsunami field surveys
- Probability/frequency of hazard occurrence
- Hazard and/or evacuation maps
- Seismic and landslide source characterizations
- Effects on marine oil terminals, intakes and outfalls, and other coastal developments
- Potential and actual damage assessments